The Beacon
About Us Calendar Newsletter Alumni News Resources Links Home
It Benefits you to know...


Workers' compensation is insurance that provides cash benefits and/or medical care for workers who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job. Listed below are some of the things you should be aware of.

  1. Report the injury, in writing, to the employer promptly, usually by filling out a building incident report. Failure to notify BOCES may jeopardize your claim and it may be disallowed.
  2. Necessary medical treatment should be obtained immediately. The provider should be informed that medical coverage will be the responsibility of Workers’ Compensation.
  3. Any doctor, podiatrist, chiropractor or psychologist that accepts NYS Workers’ Compensation can be use.
  4. Ask your doctor to file claims and send copies of all medical reports to the Workers’ Compensation Board and Eastern Suffolk BOCES insurance company, The Travelers Insurance Companies – policy number TC2H-UB-8197A78-3.
  5. NEVER pay any medical bills directly. The provider must send their bills to the employer’s insurance company. The only time you would be responsible for medical bills is if the Workers’ Compensation Board rules that your injury was not work-related.
  6. Necessary medical care is provided no matter how short or how long the length of the disability.
  7. A BOCES educator who is injured because of a student involved incident will not be charged sick days. You MUST fill out a “Request for No-Charge Compensation Time” form as soon as possible.
  8. A worker who becomes seriously disabled, either permanently or for a continuous period of not less than 12 months, as a result of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment may be entitled to the payment of monthly Social Security benefits.
  9. Worker’s Compensation Law Judges may assist a worker not represented by an attorney. An attorney's assistance may be desirable. Attorney's fees are deducted from the claimant's award, as determined by a Workers' Compensation Law Judge. A claimant must not pay an attorney directly. We have a legal firm that has offered to represent all BOCES employees with worker’s compensation cases. The firm is Fine, Olin, and Anderman – 1-800-522-9001, and they are recommended by NYSUT.
  10. If you have difficulty in obtaining a claim form or have any questions about a job related injury or illness, contact the office for Workers’ Compensation. The three closest district offices are:
    1. Hauppauge District Office
      220 Rabro Drive - Suite 100, 11788-4230
      1 866-681-5354
    2. Patchogue Service Center
      219 East Main Street, 11772
      1 866-681-5354
    3. Riverhead Service Center
      211 East Main Street, 11901
      1 866-681-5354
Contact Info Contact Info
Contact Info Click for Directions Contact Info
Contact Info Contact Info Contact Info
Contact Info Contact Info
Contact Info Contact Info
©2016, BOCES Educators of Eastern Suffolk, All Rights Reserved Web Design: Nancy Rosati